Here’s a perfect way to celebrate the Christmas holidays or to warm up when the winter wind blows. Claret refers to red wines of Bordeaux, but a hearty Shiraz or Merlot would work equally as well in this recipe.
- 1 quart red wine
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- warm the claret over a low heat, preferably in a glass or stainless steel pot. Do not allow to boil.
- add the other ingredients
- stir until the sugar is dissolved
- serve warm, preferably in front of a roaring fire