Homemade Fig Liqueur
If you’ve never had Fig Liqueur you’re missing something sublime. It’s not easy to find on the market, so homemade is an excellent, and easy, substitute.
- 2 1/2 cups (1 pound) chopped pitted figs
- 2 cups vodka (high proof is best)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar syrup
- If the fruit you have is dried, you must first reconstitute it. Put a cup or so of water into a sauce pan. Boil water, add dried fruits. Cover, turn off heat and let fruits plump in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain off water.
- Cut fruit into smaller pieces with scissors or a sharp knife. Place cooled fruit in vodka for 2 weeks, shaking occasionally. Strain and filter. Add sugar syrup to taste.
- The fruits are naturally very sweet, so be very sparing with your syrup.