Back in the early 1880s the first Labor Day was proposed to take the form of “a street parade to exhibit to the public ‘the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations’ of the community, followed by a festival for the recreation and amusement of the workers and their families
Now-a-days, the holiday is embraced by all working men and women. Considered to be the unofficial end of summer it’s time for a last fling with the barbecue tongs and picnic gear and, of course, the booze that goes with it.
So to all working people everywhere, we honor you with our favorite Labor Day cocktails and say “Work is the meat of life, pleasure the dessert.”
- Working Man’s Zinfandel: Looks like white zinfandel but in fact is a mix of tequila, scotch, cinnamon schnapps and peach schnapps. I guess the idea is that working men need something more robust and bold than a simple glass of wine. But what about working women? Hmmm. We’ll have to create something that reflects the woman who can be a bitch in heels on the job when necessary, to gentle and nurturing at home, to sexy seductress and playful mate.
- Caipirinha: Once considered the “hillbilly” drink of Brazil this modest cocktail has been elevated to star status throughout the world. And why not? It’s a simply lovely blend of strong, sweet and tart that any hard-working soul can enjoy.
- September Sunrise: Ah, yes. It’s September and the sun is setting on another summer. Remember those hazy, lazy days with this take on the ever-popular Tequila Sunrise.
- Skinny Electric Lemonade: This light, refreshing, low-calorie version of the Electric Lemonade is the perfect accompaniment to that heavy barbecue and the greasy burgers you’ll be grilling.
- Shandygaff: We get it. It’s picnic and barbecue and for some of you it’s just got to be beer. But lighten it up a little for once, and try this mix of beer and ginger ale. We like it best with lager.
Have a great day, everyone!