Mulled Red Wine
The addition of kirsch gives this a really rich, fruity flavor.
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 4 (3- by 1/2-inch) strips fresh lemon zest
- 4 (4- by 1/2-inch) strips fresh orange zest
- 4 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup kirsch or other cherry-flavored brandy
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Cheesecloth to wrap spices
Put cloves, peppercorns, and zest on cheesecloth, then tie closed to form a bag.
Combine wine, kirsch, water, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, and cheesecloth bag in a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring.
Simmer 10 minutes. Serve warm.